Frost River Isle Royale Bushcraft Pack
Frost River's Isle Royale Bushcraft Packs are simply superb. They represent that kind of old school quality that is so absent in these days of "Fast Fashion" and really conform to our belief in economy in longevity. On the face of it they are not the cheapest pack on the market but this really is a case of you pay for what you get. If it lasts for years and years and kicks the butt out of its rivals then they are remarkable value.
For some, it can take a lot of gear to thrive, for others, all they need is a trusty knife, a hatchet, and the wealth of knowledge accumulated over a lifetime. Frost Rivers Isle Royale Bushcraft Packs are built to carry big or small loads. All three sizes are designed narrow, for exploration, slipping between dog hair aspen and brush, these packs blend classic materials and construction with updated features for modern classic backwoods adventures. With lots of organisation in the form of pockets, attachments and straps, there’s space to keep gear where it needs to be. Plus, there’s plenty of capacity in the tall, narrow pack body.
- Twin, vertical 2-in-1 pockets straddle an axe sleeve. Perfect for a Hultafors Hultan, Aby or Helko Black Forest Pack Axe.
- Each pocket is roughly the size of a 1L bottle and provides a space between the pocket and pack body to stow a folding saw or other long, thin object and keep it handy.
- Premium Buckskin padded back straps are distinctive and comfortable. -Ships with sturdy sternum strap installed. -All the straps are carefully selected and cut from a side of strong harness leather. -Lashing and compression at the sides with bridle leather straps, tough diamond-braid nylon cord and solid brass rings and buckles.
- A slip pocket at the bottom of each side panel, two D-rings on the lid and lash squares at the bottom (four squares on the full size and Jr., two squares on the Mini) allow gear to be stored on the outside of the pack.
- The lid features a slim pocket for maps or other essentials.
- Outer pockets feature solid brass grommet weep holes to purge duff and water.
- The full sized Isle Royale pack comes with medium sized waist belt and the Junior and Mini are an optional extra. (if you require a different sized waist belt simply email us and we will check stocks and change accordingly)
All Frost River Packs are built with their high quality waxed canvas in their shop in Duluth, Minnesota. The weather and abrasion resistant waxed canvas is from Fairfield Textiles in New Jersey, premium leather from the S.B. Foot Tannery in Red Wing, Minnesota, along with robust, solid brass hardware, all come together with heavy thread and pack building know-how by our experienced sewing and production staff here in Duluth, Minnesota, USA. Frost River really know how to build a pack the right way, guaranteed it to last, and will be here with service and repair should it need to be refurbished after years of service.
There is a symbiosis created when carrying a pack handcrafted of natural materials into the field. The canvas and leather blend with nature in a way that modern synthetics can’t. The swish going through brush is softer. The scrape over rock is subdued, the natural colours and organic textures just fit. The smell of warm leather in the sun, the beaded water droplets, fresh off a canoe paddle stroke, glisten just a bit brighter on waxed canvas than they do on with man-made materials. There’s unique character in a handcrafted, waxed canvas pack. It’s meant to be used in the woods, as it has been for generations. It remains relevant, and reminds a person to make plans to get back out again soon. Those of us who care about what we carry, and can see an object for more than the sum of its parts, will notice an inherent value and a sense of camaraderie between an outdoor traveller, a trusted pack, and the road, the stream, the journey…
- Size/Volume - 23″h x 15″w x 8″d, actual 2760 c.i. Expanded volume, 4968 c.i. (approx.)
- Pockets 11″h x 5″w x 3″d,
- Weight - approx. 7lbs
- Shoulder Straps - Harness leather, foam pad, buckskin, plus sternum strap
- Base - Double Canvas
- Material's - 18 oz. waxed canvas, premium leather, solid brass hardware