TBS Sherwood Small Forest Axe
The TBS Sherwood Small Forest Axe is, we believe, the perfect size and weight for all those regular Bushcraft and Camp tasks that a hatchet would breeze through but be large enough for prolonged forest work, including two handed chopping. Of course it had to be portable enough to go in your pack or at least be able to be strapped to the outside.
When we designed this axe we set out a list of demands that it had to conform to:
- It should feature a Carbon Steel head with an approximate weight of 700g (1.5lbs)
- It should feature a 60cm Hickory handle (24") with our unique, desired shape for comfortable use in a number of different grips for prolonged use.
- It should be able to be used as a hand tool for fine, knife like, wood working tasks ie. feathersticking and close cutting tasks.
- It should be capable of splitting small logs for a camp fire.
- It should be capable of being used two handed for chopping
- It had to be light enough to be used for a sustained period of time.
- It should feature quality TBS leatherwork and have the option of adding an overstrike guard.
- It should be capable of light hammering work of pegs and wedges.
- It should be made in Europe and aim to be a far more reasonable price than a Swedish equivalent.
When we thought we could answer all the above questions and demands it was time to make a start on "The Sherwood". We pride ourselves on producing all of our tools in Europe and sourcing the correct, quality materials, again in Europe where possible but always from sustainable sources, like American Hickory. If you stick with the mantra of quality eventually it will serve you well for years into the future and has been what TBS is at its core.
I am sure you will love this axe and, although it is a our first foray into axes, the experience I have gained in using and building quality outdoor tools over the past 30 years meant that this just came naturally. Just combine high quality materials, high quality design and high quality construction and you end up with a great product that will last you for many years to come and, more importantly, perform!
- 700g (24.5oz) Carbon Steel Forged Head
- 60cm (24") Oiled American Hickory Handle
- 1100g (40oz) total weight
- Quality leatherwork
- Option to add an Overstrike Guard
- European Made
For The first foray into axes, seriously well done. A nice weight to it and feel like I could swing it all day. Good length of handle for 2 handed use. I think you nailed it on the first try, and also cheaper than "you know who" so another hit there. Next you need to do a hatchet for kindling and carving and put me one the list for the 1st one.
A perfect axe
I'm completely new to bushcraft/wild camping but I'm not new to axes. I used to split logs every winter for 18 years in my old landscaping job. Last night I used this axe for the first time and I have to say it is absolutely perfect, two handed or one handed the balance is great, the handle is comfy in both scenarios. Well done on a brilliant axe
Very pleased with the axe I’ve just purchased. Came very sharp straight out of the box. The leather sheaf is of good quality. Very happy. I also bought a leather pouch, which is of great quality. I’ve bought a few thins now from the Bushcraft store . Never had a problem. Goods arrive very quickly and in great shape. Highly recommend. Barry
The TBS axe,,very good craftsman ship,,
The TBS Sherwood forest axe,,not bad at all,,a lot of thought and time has gone into this axe,,the carbon steel head is brilliant,,the leather sheath is decent quality,,it's a fraction lighter than my German made helko axes,,but yes it's a very good rival,,not used it yet,,but I have lots of confidence it will be reliable and trustworthy,,congratulations to the staff at the bushcraft store,,,yes I,m impressed with this axe,,I also like the over strike cover,,also well made,,do I recommend this product,,absolutely,,other makes will not shake this one off very easy,,never underestimate the under dog,,this axe will suprise every one,,